Thursday, September 5, 2013

February/March 2009 (forgot one short post from the Feb one earlier!)



March 15
Since I can't actually title the photos I took, I forgot I would need to add a little explanation here and there. You'll notice a photo with some cattle in it; that was actually taken in Miami, and it was a field across the street of my hotel. I would have expected to see that more in Indiana! I've also taken photos in each spot from my hotel room windows, and I can only hope that viewers can figure out which ones those are. It's really annoying not being able to label the photos.
Some of the photos from the museum didn't work out so well. I couldn't get clear shots in the dim lighting all the time. Most of the ones that didn't turn out, I haven't posted to my blog, but the ones I did add, I added because it still gives an idea. The first of those is a Picasso painting. The others are of rugs, one of which is a beautiful Kashmiri design, which appears to be characterised by elongated paisley shapes. I haven't seen anything like it before, and I'm hoping my mom can get me something like that from where she lives in Pakistan! The others are from the Asian art collection, one Chinese and one Japanese painting from centuries ago. That section was really poorly lit, so almost none of the photos I took turned out. I imagine they need dimmer lights there because the artifacts are much older, some of them from even the 1300s.
The World Bank building is all the reflective, glass stuff you see, and the ceiling with multi-coloured lights is from the Indianapolis airport. They've built a brand new airport, and I guess these are some of the design features that are popular these days. I've seen similar displays in the Denver and Chicago airports as well. Hopefully that helps you figure out what some of this stuff is!
7:49 AM | Permalink | Travel
March 14
OK, I'm kind of annoyed because there's a new format on Windows Live Spaces, and now it doesn't let you give your photos names anymore. That's really stupid, especially as I'm sure you would like to know the names of the paintings and artists from the museum in Indianapolis! I can't even number them so that you can compare a note from a blog entry to the photo album. If I figure out some way to fix that, I'll do it! If any of you can give me suggestions or know how to fix it, please let me know!
10:38 AM | Permalink | Travel
March 12
I was back in the nation's capital again this past week but still didn't really have much time to see anything. I was actually quite tired on the Wednesday and didn't feel like doing a whole lot, plus I had a lot of work emails to do, I figured, since I hadn't read them all day Tuesday and most of the day on Weds. My colleague and I were actually staying near to where one of our events was being held in Bethesda. I would just like to say for the record that these locations are like black holes for restaurants. My colleague and I hadn't had time to eat supper before our fair on Tuesday night, so we looked for somewhere after 9pm, and nothing was to be found. We drove around for 45 minutes looking for somewhere, including stopping at our hotel and asking for directions to the nearest restaurant. We were told there were 50 in the area. We saw about 4 places, all of which were closed or about to close. So we ended up just ordering pizza to the hotel.
Weds afternoon, however, we got to go to a fair at the World Bank. Beautiful building, and I can't wait to put the pics up of the architecture.
The next leg of my trip was to Indianapolis. I didn't have a whole lot in terms of work today because I was basically just flying here, but the fair is tomorrow, so I was wondering what there would be to do here. The only thing I know about this city is the Indy 500, but I wasn't really interested in seeing the speedway. I thought I'd end up hanging out in my hotel room watching TV or something, but life had other plans, and good ones! While I was waiting for my luggage at the baggage claim carousel, there was a large flat screen TV on the carousel advertising things about the city, one of which was the Indianapolis Museum of Art, and there was a photo of a van Gogh painting. That sold me right then and there. Whoever would have thought that this beautiful artist's painting would be hanging out in Indianapolis? Better yet, admission was free!
Turns out they had a lot of impressionist, post and neo-impressionist painters there, well known ones. I was so excited. Of course, I had tears come to my eyes again, as usual, when I came face to face with the van Gogh. To again be so close to the canvas he touched. It's just too much for words to express. This museum allows photos without flashes, so I got some good photos. They also had a lot of other stuff like African and Asian art, and contemporary as well. The contemporary is a section I didn't hang out too much in. I don't really have a good appreciation for it; I admit I'm stuck in the 19th Century there. But you don't have time to see everything anyway.
There was this one painting you'll see when I post the photo--someone stole my idea of painting a canvas white and then just giving it a name and selling it. Well, the only difference is that this painting was untitled. I mean, there was only minor shading at the top of the painting, and it was untitled. Really. Because the painting is of nothing. It's so hard to believe. This other set I couldn't get a photo of because in that section you weren't allowed because the artists are still living. But the series was done on looseleaf paper--lined, no less--and just some strokes of different kinds in watercolour, like the kind you'd get out of those little paintboxes we used to use in school as kids. The description of this artist's works, Richard Tuttle, I believe was the name, used the term "confounding." The only thing that confounds me about them is how he can get them hung in a gallery when I have tons of those kinds of doodles in books all over the place, and I would never consider letting anyone see them lest they mock me for calling it art. I was not amused. Many of them look like Rorschach inkblots too! Maybe there's more of a psychological aspect to it than meets the eye or something. This is why I don't appreciate contemporary art. It just seems like stuff anyone could do.
7:02 PM | Permalink | Travel
Isabela's and my journey home from Mexico consisted of us taking advantage of a long layover in SF by seeing some of the sights. A friend that I made who lives in SF was so generous as to pick us up from the airport that morning and drive us around town, during which we had a whirlwind tour of the city, stopping in Chinatown, Ghirardelli Square, and driving by places like Fisherman's Wharf. We almost got to the Golden Gate bridge when my friend's car broke down. It had sustained an oil leak, unbeknownst to him, a couple of weeks prior when he was in a minor car attack. Well, the oil decided to run out while we were touring, and the engine almost seized up. Needless to say, he felt horribly about it, but what can you do, especially when you didn't realise the leak was there? It was kind of fun because we were almost on our way back to the airport anyway, and we took a cab to get to a bus station so that we could bus to the metro station where the subway would take us all the way to the airport. So it was truly a planes, trains, and automobiles kind of day! Besides, I love taking public transportation in new cities and countries. It's always an experience!
6:24 PM | Permalink | Travel

No comments:

Post a Comment