Friday, November 9, 2012

August/September 2006 posts



September 29
These red comments ought to bring back some memories of all the ones your teachers used to put on your essays when they handed them back to you.
I can't really remember what I had intended to go on about the last time I wrote on my blog in regards to punctuation. However, I can make some general comments.
I recently finished reading Eats, Shoots & Leaves, which you'll notice is on my list of favourite books. It's a fascinating book to read. One can learn about the correct--and incorrect--use of punctuation in a fairly plain but fun sort of way. Reading it made me feel that I wasn't alone in my hypersensitivity to grammatical errors, yet Truss does state the following (and this is what lets you know that, although I may not be alone, I am not necessarily normal):
"...I'm well aware there is little profit in asking for sympathy for sticklers [of grammatical correctness]. We are not the easiest people to feel sorry for. We refuse to patronise any shop with checkouts for "eight items or less" (because it should be "fewer"), and we got very worked up after 9/11 not because of Osama bin-Laden but because people on the radio kept saying "enormity" when they meant "magnitude", and we really hate that."
Despite my abnormality, I did learn a great deal about how important punctuation can be, aside from the joke made out of the misplaced comma in the book's title. I learned that volumes of exigetical works have been written on the Bible because of commas that were placed in different locations in the Protestant and Catholic Bibles; that there is no consensus on the use of apostrophes for proper noun possessives, such as, if it's Charles' apple or Charles's apple; that there are many more instances of commas and periods being placed on the outside of quotation marks than I originally thought; that my own obsession about grammar is surely trumped by those authors that have actually written poetry about punctuation. This will not help my stickler tendencies, but for all of you whose essays I still edit, this will help you a great deal, and in some cases, I may even be more lenient on the placement of certain punctuation marks based on what I've learned.
For a while, what I've felt punctuation to be is that it's all about clarity. Lynn Truss would concur. She states:
"We have a language that is full of ambiguities; we have a way of expressing ourselves that is often complex and allusive, poetic and modulated; all our thoughts can be rendered with absolute clarity if we bother to put the right dots and squiggles between words in the right places. Proper punctuation is both the sign and the cause of clear thinking. If it goes, the degree of intellectual impoverishment we face is unimaginable."
OK, maybe "unimaginable" is a little extreme, but I can't help but think that in our society of instant-gratification, not only do we give way to the fast food that jeopardises our physical health, but we give way to fast communication, without taking time to accurately communicate all that we mean to say or all that we should say. This puts in jeopardy our abilities to understand and to be understood. I heard recently that there was a revival in what are now called "slow food" meals, those which take a little bit of time to prepare. Why not revive our ability to write? After all, isn't it all about effective communication? My personal belief is that so many of life's little problems--which do sometimes escalate to become large, unresolvable ones--are caused by either a lack of communication or lack of effective communication. Rather than saying (chat rooms notwithstanding) CU l8r, why not take time out to say "I hope to see you soon"? I can't say that I would always take time to do this myself, so I cannot really challenge anyone on this, but at least sometimes, at least to the people that are really important to us, would we take time to communicate well with them. We actually do write to people a lot these days via email, and I think there is always a time and place for proper punctuation. Some sociolinguists will tell you that because language is like culture, that it is dynamic, living and changing, that it must do so for the sake of its own survival, perhaps all these punctuation changes are part of the survival of the written word. But if improperly placed punctuation serves to confuse readers, then does that help the language to survive?
In all spheres of our daily lives, whether in marriage and family relationships, friendships, at work, and even in the marketplace, poor communication can be the cause of many undesirable consequences. I, for one, hope to continue in my quest to communicate as clearly as possible. I certainly do not always succeed in doing so, but I feel the need to at least keep trying.
September 20
I doubt there are many of you still reading my blog now that I'm back in Edmonton. I'm sure boring old Canada can supply no adventure for the most mischievous of you out there, but then this is my life we're talking about, and there is no end to the strange people and experiences I have no matter where I am in the world. If you've been wondering where I am or where I've been, I have been travelling a little again and also just working part-time at my mom's office while I look for full time employment. As for my travelling days, I only went as far as Northern Alberta, nowhere exotic, but the place is as exciting for me as any other because it is one of the few places, if not the last place, in the world where exists a sense of nostalgia for me, a feeling that I am home.
Mom and I went up north to begin the excavation of my grandmother's house, as she has decided to vacate the property and move in with my uncle, her oldest son. The farmyard with the houses on it no longer belongs to the family, but the land surrounding the yard does, the creek that runs through the property where my cousins, brother, and I spent many a summer playing and exploring. It is such a peaceful place there, and I hope that if I ever have children one day, they will be able to play and explore and discover the same way I did, that they will bond with their cousins there the same way I did. It is wishful thinking, but it would indeed be nice.
I must admit that I did cry every day I was in the house, thinking how it would be the last time I did this or that in it. It is the location of some of my happiest childhood memories. Yet the place is filled with mold and mildew, not to mention mouse droppings, and it will most likely be destroyed in the end--health authorities may otherwise condemn it! Thing is, as some of you will know, I have the maladaptive proclivity of being highly resistent to change. As adventurous as I may seem to be, I am quite happy in routine, in a regular schedule, with everything in its proper place. No matter what I do, I have come to know that my life will never be this way. Things, material things, from my past are erased on a constant basis. I sometimes feel that those erasures are like watching my life die over and over again. But it is dead. I live in the present. Where that life exists is in my memories, in my relationships, and I daresay even in the person I have become today. It is what I do with those memories that more important than the material objects that cause me to recall them. It reminds me of having reflected on the fall colour today. The sparkle of a yellow, autumn leaf, its gold-encrusted days are numbered but for the immortality it achieves in the minds of all those who behold it; I have beheld a lot of life in the short time I have lived.
Folks, this is why I need a job. I have too much free time to be thinking, and my heart and my mind always turn to reflection during transition times such as these. I have been working a bit, going to the gym, looking for jobs, and helping out a neighbour that needed me to sleep at her place at night for a couple of weeks, and yet I still have too much free time for my thoughts to play. They played enough the whole summer when I was out of the country with little to no responsibility. Self-reflection is critical in anyone's life, but too much of a good things is...well, you know. On that note, I leave you with a poem I wrote during one of my major transition times: when I was moving to Mexico. By the way, stay tuned for reflections on syntax--yes, you read that right, syntax!
TRANSITION TIME
Joanna Gill, September 2002
My heart had cried a thousand times
For what would never be,
For dreams once voiced in foolish rhymes,
For hopes that did escape me.
But the winds of time do often change,
They can never one direction go
And lead to places often strange,
To mountains high and valleys low.
And there may not be a choice
Which direction you must take.
You must obey the strong wind’s voice,
And so must I follow in my wake.
The direction of the wind has changed,
My heart must end its cries
And break from where it had been chained
To follow where the new path lies.
And though my heart has often wept
For a life that cannot be,
It must not think of the life it left
Nor mourn the life it could not see.
My heart must sing upon the wind
While following its commander’s lead
And know the new life it might find
Might more fulfil its every need.
August 24
I am struck by the news today that Pluto has been downgraded from a planet in the solar system to a minor planet, or some such thing, and now our galaxy will only contain 8 planets. It is no revolution, such as learning that the world is indeed round when you had always believed that it was flat, but somehow, I still feel a sense of sadness. It is because we rely so heavily on science in our society to explain life to us that puts into question all that I know at this point in time. Indeed, I have long known that science in and of itself was not able to provide all my answers for me and that its truth must be questioned for its political, economical, and cultural contexts, both in how the questions are asked and answered. Yet there is a faith in the hard sciences, especially, that there are some claims we can really hold onto as proven facts, such as what the elements are that compose water or how many planets lie within our solar system. Still, it seems we cannot escape our own human (and within this, technological) limitations.
My first experience with this was when learning that there are many places in the world where they teach that there are only 5 continents in the world while many of us learn that there are 7. Geologists will tell you that there are 7, according to their definition of what constitutes a continent. The 5-continent system is taught apparently for political reasons, still dividing up the world into the political continents represented by the 5 rings in the Olympic symbol. Yet the 5-continent system is taken to be scientific fact because it can be reasoned that there are 5 continents perhaps for other reasons, and what purpose would there be to doubt what appears to be an accepted idea in geology?
My second experience with this was Stephen Hawking discovering 20 years later that he had been wrong about his theory on black holes. So basically for 20 years, astronomy and science had been operating based on a certain widely, if not absolutely, accepted finding about black holes, only to find out that the basis was completely wrong. What does that mean for the so-called knowledge we have derived from all of this today?
Then they tell me that they've changed the definition of a planet, so Pluto is no longer in the solar system. Or, perhaps the definition is the same, but advances in technology have allowed a better view of Pluto, causing astronomers to agree that perhaps it really isn't a fully-fledged planet. I liken it to suddenly finding that there are cases in which 2+2 could equal something other than 4, that maybe there is a possible world in which this could happen. All of these incidents serve to remind me how fragile my own knowledge really is, and I must say that I feel a little depressed because everything I know could be completely meaningless. King Solomon did say in the book of Ecclesiates that even wisdom and knowledge were meaningless under the sun, but the fear of Lord was the beginning of all wisdom. What I think I know may assist me to live within the context of my own being, but in the great scheme of things, that knowledge is certainly less significant. What is interesting is how the significance of this sort of ontological and epistemological question can diminish your realisation of your own state in the world. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, just a ponderous one.
6:09 PM | Permalink | Philosophy
August 14
Well, I apologise to those of you I haven't contacted yet since I've been home. I have not had one moment of rest until today. The first two days, I couldn't get back into my house as there was confusion with my house keys being left in the house. I did eventually get in, but I spent a day or so trying to figure out what to do to get in. Then the weekend following was a long weekend where we had the Heritage Days festival, so I went to that all 3 days as per usual. I picked up my grandma from the airport on holiday Monday, and she stayed with me the week before the wedding we all had to attend as my mom's house was full. All of that was enough to wear me out, and now that my grandma is able to stay with my mom, I was able to take today off to do absolutely nothing. It has felt really good to do nothing at all. So I will be able to start contacting people back in Edmonton in the near future--perhaps next week as this week, I will be helping out in my mom's office.
3:21 PM | Permalink

No comments:

Post a Comment