Saturday, November 24, 2012

December 2006 posts



December 30
One of my friends emailed me recently and stated he thought I was becoming quite the revolutionary, now having lost my job twice in the same year on account of my dissent of unethical practices. It reminded me that I had the inkling of a thought the other day about how these situations can either serve to weaken an individual or to strengthen him or her. It is how revolutionaries seem to be born.
When I think about people that led revolutions or led nations to greatness of some kind, their success was often not the result of prior successes in life. By example, Paris Hilton, I believe, will never be a revolutionary. She will make headlines, but she will not bring about significant change to any society, especially not at the paradigmatic level, which is often the result or the cause of a revolution. The status quo is what keeps her going; if society were different, especially economically, all her money might not be available--and what kind of life would that be for a princess? I think more of people like Lenin, Hitler, Guevara, Castro, and Marx, Mandela, and even someone like Paul in the Bible. Many of these types of people wrote a significant number of their works while in prison, being persecuted for the things they believed in. It's not to say that all their beliefs were necessarily good ones, but the point is that their beliefs were a minority view, and because they were bold enough to stand against the majority, they were persecuted.
As I stated before, that persecution either weakens or strengthens the individual. For some, it weakens the spirit and the mind, and they just give up. For others, they realise that they haven't anything else to lose, so their fire is fueled instead. I feel that I have become the latter. Even thinking back to my job in Mexico, there were unethical practices going on there too, and those of us that questioned it were given a very rough time. My only job where I haven't faced this problem is when I worked for the government. That was a good job! Anyways, the more these things happen, the more I want to stand up for what's right. I am not an apathetic Canadian. I care about all kinds of social issues. It's not to say that others don't care, necessarily, but what are they willing to sacrifice to stand up and defend what they care about?
The fact is that, whether people like it or not, there are absolutes in this world. Not all truth is relative; not all morals are relative. There is no circumstance I can think of under which rape is right, for example. It's simply wrong. Am I to be persecuted if I raise my voice to state my belief that rape is wrong? It is not to say that people cannot be forgiven or pardoned ever, but the act in and of itself is still not right.
The trick is being able to choose your battles, to know if you should fight them, when to fight them, and what way to fight them. Much wisdom is required. And each battle will be confounded by the people involved in them. You, as a person, are only one inconsistent figure in the equation. The more people involved, the more confounded the situation. We, as in individuals, are limited by our own humanity, and I believe it is difficult to be able to trust that we will do and say what's expected or what we would even like to do 100% of the time. We become our own unknown variable. That is why I believe so much caution, calculation, and wisdom are required. In any case, some of the revolutionaries I listed above chose physical battles, overthrowing the government and what have you. That is usually not necessary. The wise revolutionary will question the battle first and then use what seems to be the most effective method to fight the battle, if it is worth fighting at all. I am a revolutionary, I hope that I learn to choose my battles well and how I fight them wisely.
What I do know is this: My abnormal psych prof began the class with a discussion about what constitutes abnormality to begin with. Indeed, the definition of that has changed over the years, but one thing in particular he said has really stuck with me since I heard it. He said that we think of abnormal people as people that have something wrong with them, some genetic mutation, mental disability, brain damage or whatever. Sometimes, it's just a person that doesn't fit into the mainstream of society in the way they think and act (think "Nutty Professor" here). It's not to say that the person is bad or wrong, but we sometimes think of them that way anyways. My prof used this analogy: Think of people in society as moving in one direction as a stream, rushing in some areas, bubbling along in others, but they always go the same direction. Then there's one guy pushing against them going upstream, pushing through the pressure and trying to go the opposite direction. What all the other people don't know is that they're headed toward a cliff and are going to fall off and die. It's only that one guy that will live because he's going the right way. (This analogy assumes that self-preservation is important to you). So the prof said, maybe what we think of as abnormal is just one eccentric guy that's willing to go against everyone to do what he knows is right. Since that time, I've wanted to be that guy. Whether it's speaking on behalf of those whose voices have been stolen from them or teaching or doing motivational speaking, I hope that I will always defend my integrity and the principles on which it is based. If I keep losing my job for that, then at least I know it's for the right cause. I want to be a quiet diligent worker, but I also don't want to turn a blind eye to something that may be wrong. I want to find out if reality matches my perception, and then do something to bring about change if possible. If I am a revolutionary, you are witnessing the story of my birth.
December 28
One day when I was at the gym a couple of weeks before Christmas, I was watching the TV screens while on the treadmill. I am critical enough about advertising as it is, but this one ad came on that really alarmed me. The commercial shows all these kids opening Christmas presents and hating them; one kid throws a tantrum, while another kid simply throws his gift off the side of a cliff, and another pulls the tree down whereas another one jumps all over his to crush it. All the kids react in some extreme way--something I would have been spanked for as a kid--and I thought maybe it was an ad for this show that TLC was having where they take these kids having tantrums about Christmas and get them in shape before they pull the tree down. I was sorely mistaken. The ad was for some type of store, a department store or something, saying, "Make sure you get the right gift this Christmas. Shop at X." It's not that the ad was in poor taste, but in our current generation of entitlement, parents are already giving in to their kids too much as it is, and here, this ad is playing into that poor parenting technique. Why allow these kids to throw tantrums, not to be thankful for the superfluous wealth they already have? Parents have enough trouble as it is disciplining their kids, and now we have the media trying to influence our minds by allowing us to think it's ok to give in to our our kids when they're greedy and selfish. This is certainly the true meaning of Christmas. I guess most people I know are not so duped by advertising, but I hope that most people do look at them critically so that we aren't influenced by such a shameful gimmick.
December 26
In all truth, I don't mind being a party pooper sometimes. This time, I'm hoping rain falls on the Santa parade. It's easy to argue that Santa and all that he represents detracts from the reason Christmas is supposed to be about, but what bugs me more about it is the hypocrisy we exhibit in supporting his existence. I suppose the same goes for Easter Bunnies and Tooth Fairies, but most parents teach their children not to lie, and then they go and tell their kids that these characters exist knowing full well that they don't. Now, I don't know very many people that were traumatized by finding out that Santa doesn't really exist or that don't trust people because their parents lied to them about these characters. The consequences are not necessarily negative, but I don't know that lying is justified regardless of the consequences--and it's lying on a very large scale, on a societal level! So I haven't really developed this theory very much; maybe this isn't really as bad as I think. Just a thought that has been running through my mind lately with the Christmas season upon us.
4:04 PM | Permalink | Philosophy
December 23
Well,I really haven't succeeded in the job market this year. It has been a learning experience for me, not just what I've learned about other people, but also what I've learned about myself.
I've learned that I have a strong personality, that I don't allow myself to be walked over when I see unethical practices going on. If there is an injustice, such as in the last place I worked, I will fight for the person against whom the injustice was committed if that person is not given the voice that he/she deserves. My reputation is not important. If I lose my job because of something I did wrong, then I have myself to blame, but if I lose my job because I was not afraid to stand up for the right reasons, then it's worth it. The last time, it was really gossip and labelling that contributed to conflict in my workplace. This time, there was a more serious case, which is probably best left unmentioned in a public forum such as this, but in this case, instead of helping a person that had some inappropriate things inflicted on her, the people that should have been helping her and standing up for her were only concerned about themselves and trying to protect their own names and reputations. The old boys' club still sticks together.
The unfortunate reality is that I think these things go on a lot more than we think, but in what job does your own assertiveness and 0-tolerance for truly unjust and unethical practices at work serve as an asset rather than a trait that could get you fired? And that doesn't mean protesting outside people's offices, sending around nasty emails to co-workers about everything you disagree with or anything like that, but simply standing up to the people committing those acts, whether that means facing them personally or going to a higher authority that actually would have the power to make sure those practices are no longer continued. If I thought long enough about it, I might even be inspired to take up law and become a human rights lawyer. I am so fascinated by the topic, but at the same time, would it be the most effective way to impact the human spirit, to bring about real change in people's hearts enough that they would convict themselves of their own wrongdoing and want to change their own lives? I have never known this to be the case. The bad guy often seems to win, but my satisfaction in the case of my last job is knowing that as much as they think they've got rid of all the problem people, it's the problem people that are left, and they will start to turn on each other when they realise that things still aren't working right. At least that has been my observation in other "gang-like" groupings.
I've noticed that the readership of my blog went quite downhill during the last month. Between starting my new job and my laptop dying, I had little time to write anything here. But for any of you out there reading this, will you dare to examine all sides of a situation, and if there is just cause, would you be willing to put yourselves on the line for yourself or someone else? I don't believe it's always a good idea to make a big stink about everything, but as Canadians especially, we tend to be so apathetic that we rarely take a stand on anything. May we be instilled with a deep sense of what is right and wrong, and may we be willing to live steadfastly by those principles. I know I could never feel like I had any integrity if I tried to live any other way.
11:00 AM | Permalink
December 16
A brief update, for those of you that check here in some sort of regular fashion. I started my new job and am soon planning to quit it for various reasons. It has been taking up a lot of my life recently, and that combined with the fact that my laptop died last weekend and is now getting repaired, I haven't been on the Internet much to be putting any updates here. Hope you haven't missed me too much :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment