Saturday, December 1, 2012

January 2007 posts



January 27
For some reason lately, I have been thinking about time--partly because of my ticking biological clock, the thought of my mom's retirement coming up this year, my not having a full time job, things like that. Somehow it reminded me of a novel I read called the Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett. This author was recommended to me by a good friend, who told me that Pratchett's stories are comical and entertaining. I not only found this book to be funny but that there was also a philosophical underpinning to it. In the story, it describes a statue carved of this person, whose name in the story I can't remember, but it was something like Albert: the Eternally Surprised, and he was carved in stone with this surprised look on his face, eyes popping out and jaw dropped. He was eternally surprised because he realised that any given instant is a brand new one because time is constantly renewing itself. Each second that passes is completely dead and each second now is completely different from the last one. As this character was amazed by each new second, his look of surprise was etched on his face eternally.
One of the things that interests me about this character is that it could have been so easy for him to be the Eternal Mourner because he could have mourned the death of each passing second, but he was more excited about each new second instead. It makes me look at myself and wonder how much I mourn about the past. By the time you finish reading this little thought for the day, how many seconds have just died, and are you happy or content with the present one? I've been asking myself this question all week.
In an attempt to seize the day and wonder what I'll have accomplished should God decide to take me home tonight, I find myself with a growing passion for life and the people and things that make it worthwhile to be alive. I get the impression that some people are being startled by it, and I only hope that I'm not scaring anyone from my own intensity. I could wane with time, but I feel myself to be waxing with its renewal. It's kind of hard to describe, but seeing as how more than a week has gone by with no entry, some of you may be wondering where I am or what I'm up to. I'm thinking. That's what I'm doing--as scary as you may think that is!
8:26 PM | Permalink
January 18
I went outside last night for the first time in about 4.5 days. I didn't do anything wild and crazy, just had supper at my dad's place, but it was good to breathe in some fresh air again. After having laryngitis, everything had to drain, so my head was quite stuffed up over the weekend. I'm still not fully recovered right now, but I'm certainly much better than I was.
I've had the experience before, as I had this time after not going out for a few days, that I feel a little apprehensive to go outside, especially in chilly weather. What I don't know is what I'm afraid of, why I should feel any anxiety over a task that I do almost daily: going outside. Once I'm out, I'm ok, but it's getting the motivation to face the outside world again that seems to be a problem.
Yet the air is so thrilling, like meeting a fulfilling part of your life after not having been in contact for a while, and if I could dance with the air, I would. The stars were so brilliant last night as well, as they always are in the winter. The moon and stars are so much clearer and brighter in the cold beyond. I love summer moons because they are warm and affectionate, but the winter ones have an austerity about them, the stars a sense of glamour, that there is something so attractive about them to me. It's something that doesn't last the whole year, whereas if you're looking for warmth and affection from celestial bodies, you can always find it in the sun any day of the year. Such are my musings, anyways.
Having stayed at home all this time means that I haven't had anything interesting going on to talk about really, so I won't bore my readers with any more useless blathering.
12:39 PM | Permalink
January 10
Not a long entry today, folks, although it would make sense considering writing is the best way for me to communicate at the moment. I thought I had a cold coming on for the last few days, but this morning, I woke up with a plugged throat instead of a plugged nose, so I realised that I must have developed laryngitis somehow. Usually I get laryngitis when I'm under a heavy amount of stress, and I'm lacking sleep, abusing my voice, and the like. But this time, I don't know what caused it. It's very frustrating. Someone phoned me, and I was barely able to talk over the phone. If you know any remedies that work to ease the swelling of the vocal chords, please let me know!
12:04 PM | Permalink
January 02
I'm finally able to add some new photos to my blog from the farm. I had wanted to put these up back in September when they were taken, but my mom had a secret plan to compile these and other photos together in an album for my brother, and I didn't want to give him a hint of what was coming by posting these before Christmas. It was a long wait! Anyways these are just pictures of around the farm, walking over the pastures and scenes taken from the house. The one of the beehive is significant to me, and the reason I know it's over 25 years old is because I remember throwing rocks at it when I was about 5, and of course that made the bees mad, and I actually got stung by one in the forehead. I guess I learned the hard way! And there were always kittens on the farm, it seemed almost every summer when we went. The kittens in these photos belong to the neighbours, but they are kittens on the farm nonetheless! I hope you enjoy them :o)
11:11 PM | Permalink

No comments:

Post a Comment