Sunday, December 23, 2012

March 2007 posts



March 28
(Para los padres de Sergio, si estan leyendo mi blog, me imagino que Sergio ya les describio todo de su ceremonia de ciudadania. Disculpenme que no tengo muchas fotos, pero la luz en la sala no brillo mucho, y aunque tenia mas fotos, no revelaron bien.)
Here are the pictures from the citizenship ceremony of my friend Sergio, who became a citizen officially on February 28, 2007--exactly 1 month ago from this entry. I was so happy to be able to join him on this day, one because he doesn't have any family here, and he is like a big brother to me, and two because I've known him almost since he first arrived in Canada 8 years ago. It was also interesting just to go to this ceremony as someone that was born in Canada because this is an experience that we never go through ourselves.
The judge gave her little speech as to what she wanted to say, and then everyone had to give the oath or swear that they would be loyal to the Queen of England and all that jazz. During that part, no one was allowed to take photos. Tonia and I couldn't figure out why that was, but since then, I've talked to other people to see why they think that is, and someone suggested that maybe just because it's supposed to be a sacred part of the ceremony, it's considered to be sacriligious to take photos. That sounds reasonable to me. The funny thing was that everyone has to has to say the oath in both official languages. The judge does the French part first, probably to get the worst over with, and she said everything really slowly and with minimal syllables in each phrase. She said they did the best job in French of any group she heard, but when they said it in English, suddenly the volume rose in the room!
Anyways, each of the people becoming citizens were called up--either individually or as a family--to receive their certificate and citizenship card. Each person had been assigned a numbered chair to sit in, and at first I wondered why, but upon hearing the other judge helping to call out names, I realised what I think is the logic: the person couldn't pronounce at least a good half of the names on the list, so if she mangled them too much, it didn't matter because everyone was called out in numerical order so you would know you're next, whether you understood your name or not! It was quite funny. After, they had a little reception outside the room, consisting of fresh fruit, cookies, and juice, but as Tonia and Sergio hadn't eaten lunch, we walked across the street to a little restaurant for more substantial foodage.
Congratulations, Sergio!!
8:48 AM | Permalink

March 26
It seems unecessary for me to have titles for every entry. Not all the episodes of my life are worth framing in that way. So I'm not giving this one a good title, and you can expect a few more like that in the future, I'm sure.
Since my last entry, my health hasn't really improved much. I've been sick for 2 weeks now, and I'm getting really tired of it. I am actually improving day by day, but so slowly. Whereas last weekend, I cancelled all my activities that I didn't have to do on account of being ill, this past weekend, I couldn't do that, plus, I can't put my whole life on hold for such a long period of time. I went to the Beijing Opera both Saturday and Sunday evening. There were two different shows each night, which is why I didn't want to miss anything. The first night was 4 mini-operas showcasing various aspects of what is considered to be part of the art of Chinese opera, which were singing, dancing, fighting, and dialogue. The fight scenes were amazing with some very complicated acrobatics. The dialogie part wasn't translated at all, so I can't really comment on that much, but there is much more speaking in these operas than in western ones. The speaking style, also, is highly stylised in a higher-pitched, slower form of speaking than would normally be spoken. As Chinese languages are tonal, I consider them to be musical in that sense, so the dialogue sounded very sing-songy to me. The dancing is not really like dancing I am used to, but you can see the choreography there. The singing incorprates some of the techniques I would be familiar with from western opera, such as breathing and use of the sinus cavities for sound amplification, but it was more nasaly and much more higher-pitched. To be quite honest, it was hard on my ears after a while, but it's the same reason I don't enjoy a lot of female singers from India, because it's generally the style to sing in much higher, sharper tones than what we have in western music. The interesting thing, though, is that many of the male singers that are considered to be the Beijing Opera's top singers also sing like the women do. It certainly sounds very unnatural to me!
The second night was one long story and combined all the things we saw the night before. If this opera made regular appearances here, I probably wouldn't frequent it, but it's definitely worth seeing that for the experience and to compare how it's different from operas here.
Outside of that, I have posted a couple of new pictures. The one that I would like to point out is the one of the Bohemian Waxwing. I hope to get a better picture of it up soon as I have to re-install my camera software so I can edit it properly, enlarge it and crop it so you can see it better, but I wanted to post this for a while now. This is a really neat bird. I had never seen one before, and this one was eating the berries off the tree in our front yard. I didn't know that we had birds with such bright yellow on them. Fortunately, Kelly has a Birds of North America book, which is how we found out what this bird was. Happily for me, on the same page was a picture of the Great Kiskadee, which is a yellow-breasted bird I had seen all the time in Mexico and was dying to know the name of. I did find it once on the Internet, and then I didn't remember the name and could never find it again on the Internet. So I felt a little frustrated about that, but here, I have the name of it, and since I've posted it on my blog, I hope I won't forget it again!
March 18
...because I have the sense to question things to see they are not always what they seem to be. This thought (not specifically the reference to the "I Can't Believe it's not Butter" commercial) has been on my mind during the last week. I started my new job at the junior high school, and my first day consisted of joining in with the grade 6 orientation. A couple of the feeder schools popped over to see what kinds of things our jr. high has to offer, and it was my chance to learn about the school as well. It was interesting to follow along with one group and observe the very polite behaviour they exhibited, raising their hands to ask questions, keeping quiet when a teacher was speaking, and so forth. I think back to the days when the bane of my existence at school consisted of standing in lines to go anywhere or do anything, following directions as precisely as they were given if not even more so, and quietly biding my time until instruction from authority asked me to do otherwise. I take it for granted that I question so many things I am told to do now.
As educators or other types of people involved in the education system, we frequently express our incredulity at the lack of critical thinking skills students possess. We wonder where their parents failed them or where our system failed them, but if I think about the kinds of questions I ask now, I would probably have been labelled as a troublemaker or some such thing had I asked such questions at a much younger age. I did ask some of them then. I remember critiquing my own jr. high school, pointing out its hypocrisy, which was the difference between the way they said they wanted to treat us (as adults) and the school rules (which were infantile). I critiqued this in the form of a poem, which I handed in for some assignment in Language Arts class in grade 9. I can't even remember what grade I got, although I think it was ok, but I do remember the teacher writing the comment on it that I was taking chances with my writing.
In grade 6, I questioned one of my teachers, who treated one of my classmates with disrespect. Granted, the kid had not helped himself by the amount of times he had been disciplined by the principal himself, but it was no reason to call him the kinds of names my teacher called him. I didn't question the teacher directly, but I think I did take the right route by reporting this indignity to my mom, who approached the teacher about it, and he stopped calling that student names.
In high school, I questioned a substitute teacher we had, who came into our classroom and treated us as though we were some sort of feral members of society for which she had been tortured to tend to for the rest of her already tortured life. I had rarely been treated with so little disrespect in my life. It did not justify the fact that our class decided to stage our own rebellion by not working at all during that class, undoubtedly ensuring the rage of our teacher the next day, but when he had finished venting, I somehow gained the courage to state the behaviours of this poor woman, and the teacher then had reason to at least realise what kind of person we had been facing. I supposed there are always ways of going about all these things.
But I started thinking, if all our kids really engaged in critical thinking, we could have quite the rebellion on our hands! There are many rules and regulations that are senseless, but the kids should only have enough critical thinking skills to question why the cotton ginny helped to revolutionise Industrial U.S. rather than why we should need to wear indoor/outdoor shoes in perfectly dry and clean weather. If we gave them the skills to question our policies, they would be forced to join our master's degree programs where we talk about these things--and I have no doubt that they do not lack the meta-cognitive skills to do so!
I don't know that I quite finished formulating all my thoughts around this subject, but as I observe kids more in the next little while in my new jobs, I think I shall be able to conclude. In the meantime, I've been dealing with being ill again, getting another cold. Thankfully, it didn't last long, but a week was long enough. I realised that I hadn't put anything up here for a while, so at least I've had time to think of a topic to write about other than just cheating and putting up stuff for blogthings.
8:00 PM | Permalink

No comments:

Post a Comment