Wednesday, January 23, 2013

May 2007



May 30
Que emocionante! OK, so I just wanted to let you all know that I'm on YouTube now. Gabriel, with whom I sang some duets at the Festival de la Cancion on Monterrey back in 2003, has posted the one solo that I had, called Habanera, from Bizet's Carmen. I'm so excited. The sound quality isn't great, but I hope you enjoy it anyways. For those of you that don't know, this is a fairly well-known opera aria. Here are two of the duets: La Vie en Rose, and Con Te Partiro (or Por Ti Volare in Spanish, which we did in both languages, I in Italian and Gabriel in Spanish). Apparently the two other ones we did aren't good quality enough to stream. But this will give you an idea for now :o)
4:46 PM | Permalink | Hobbies
May 20
I hadn't put any of those Blog things I'm addicted to on my site lately, so I added a couple of them just for the sake of posterity. I was about to begin my sentence by saying, "Lately, I have been thinking about something..." but the truth is that I've been thinking about a lot of things, as is almost always the case with me. Sometimes, I wish my brain would sleep.
During my Internet drought at home, I had been thinking about the state of multiculturalism in our country. I have been helping this person I know with her PhD dissertation, and she is in the same department I did my master's in, so we are always on about multiculturalism issues of some sort. We had a discussion about this Multiculturalism Act that was passed in 1988 in Canada (I actually thought it was passed earlier in 1972 or so, but apparently this was just a policy at the time). In any case, I started thinking back to that time; I would have turned 11 that year, and I remembered that was about the same time we got these buttons at school with cartoon drawings of people on them and a slogan saying: "We are all different!" I guess it was to commemorate the passing of that Act. The concept fascinates me, though, because, while I understand the idea that we are to accept (or in the terms of the Act, Respect, Tolerate, and Understand) our differences, this notion has always seemed to focus on what segregates us rather than what unites us. We can be united in the idea that we all have differences, but then we get into these nasty controversies of minority rights, which have no end. And our differences, I believe, are one of the factors that prevent Canada from having a defined national identity. Of course, without this topic of discussion, we might have nothing philosophical to talk about outside of hockey and beer, so perhaps it's all for the best! But seriously, as I concluded in my own thesis, the hegemonic powers would have use stay divided this way to continue the competition for resources and various kinds of capital in order to keep the status quo. I realise this sounds pessimistic, but until I run for Prime Minister and find out it ain't so, that's how I see it.
There has also been a lot of excitement in my life this past week. Excitement makes it sound like a good thing, but what I mean by that is that the week was eventful and full of surprises. Some of that, I can't share with you because it has to do with one of the kids I work with, and with confidentiality, a blog certainly isn't the place for that info. No, the other major news of the week was finding out that the landlady met with an emergency situation and must move back into her house here in Edmonton by the middle of next month. Kelly can move into the basement suite, where she lived before, but I am out of house and home because I can't afford to live anywhere on my own yet. I turn 30 next month, and my b'day present from life is having to move back in with my mom and her husband. Great. The two good things about it is that I will be able to use the money I used to pay in rent to put toward buying my own place next year, and hopefully also I'll get a chance to spend more time with my mom before she retires out of country next year as well. So a lot of changes.
As a side note, I just watched An Inconvenient Truth tonight for the first time. While the environment is of concern to me, I got the more subtle message in Gore's documentary slamming the Republicans. I mean, it kind of made it turn into a really long TV campaign ad like the Americans always have during election season. The subtle message was, " Don't vote for the Republicans next election, vote Democrat." He shows part of the election results when Florida's voting count went wrong and makes it seem like he would have changed the whole environment around had he been elected and boo hoo that George Bush has ruined the world. Well, I think Gore's more significant contribution would have been not going to war. I'm sure he would have ratified Kyoto as well, which would have been great, but I was a little disappointed with a political slant I just wasn't expecting. You know that these kinds of videos are going to have their socially conscious political message, but not a direct blaming the Republicans for all our problems kind of message. I do wonder, too, how much he could have done in office. I saw Bill Clinton being interviewed on the Daily Show, and Jon Stewart asked Clinton if he could have done as much for the country as he's doing now that he isn't president anymore, and Clinton thought he couldn't. He said there are so many other factors to consider when you're running the whole country, so sometimes you can't do what you want to do, no matter how much you want it. I don't really know what my thoughts are on that yet, but it's just food for thought, anyways.
12:01 AM | Read comments (1) | Permalink | News and politics

No comments:

Post a Comment