Wednesday, January 23, 2013

June 2007 posts



June 24
My birthday day turned into a birthday week, which seems now to be turning into a birthday month as I have several people who still want to take me out for birthday dinners. I can't say I'm sad about that, and I'm also just so happy to be able to spend time with family and friends, which is the thing I like to do the most. I have some of the pictures of my parties uploaded now, most of which are from party #2 last night, and which was at the house of my friends, Leni and David. They were gracious enough to allow me to host a party in their home (thanks again, guys!). I only have two pictures from party #1 so far, which was a joint party for me and my friend Shivani. Sadly, there wasn't too much salsa dancing at either party, but the Friday before my actual birthday, one of my friends took me to another birthday party of one of his friends, and there was enough salsa there to get in a few dances, so I was satiated. For those of you that couldn't make it to either party, I did miss you there, and I hope to see you really soon :o)
2:08 PM | Permalink
June 17
I've had two nights of parties already, tonight there is another one with my dad, and next week I have one on Thursday and then Saturday again. OK, they're not exactly all parties, like tonight, for example is just a dinner, but I'm still occoupied enough! Birthday parties, farewell parties, it seems there are plenty of them. Oh, and I had to go to a wedding engagement party--Moroccan style--yesterday afternoon as well. If I hadn't had a party at my place last night, I would have gone to another one as a friend of mine finally finished her dissertation--after how many years?--and had a celebration party last night.
I just realised yesterday that I hadn't update my blog in almost 2 weeks. Not that many of you were likely wondering where I was, considering my regular readers are so few in number that I think I know you all well enough for you to know where I've been. But just in case there are any new readers out there, I'll just let you know that last weekend was my big move home, so I had been spending a lot of time packing prior to that and then unpacking afterward. I also wanted to catch up with work, my research. With all the packing, I didn't really have much time for it and now want to make up a few hours. Besides my grandma coming tomorrow for a 3-week visit, I haven't many plans for my afternoons for the next little while outside of research, writing, writing, and research. And I have a couple of paintings I want to finish, a book that I'm creating for a friend, and start a new painting. Nothing like keeping busy! :o)
I wish I could post some of the photos of the engagement party yesterday as it was a traditional Moroccan event, but I have no way of obtaining permission from the bride and groom to post them in this public space. I do have some other new photos, though, of one of my favourite things--no, not more swans, don't worry--but...wait for it...yep, you guessed it: flowers! I know how much you've been missing them all. I need to transfer them from my camera first, and hopefully I can upload them to my blog soon enough, like today or so.
4:09 PM | Permalink
June 04
As funds are a little low this year, it seems that I won't be travelling anywhere too far from Edmonton, unfortunately, but as I'm packing my things up to move back home, I just came across an old entry I wrote a while ago while waiting at an airport for a flight that had been delayed. At least I can pretend I'm in an airport as I remember my feelings of that time. I wrote it down on a piece of paper planning to post it on the blog for my recruiting job, but I ended up misplacing the paper, and that was the end of the story. Anyways, here is my reflection on airports:
Airports are such emotional places. Amidst the computers and self-check-in terminals, besides the large hunks of metal we fashion into airplanes, are scores of people filled with anticipation. It's when your flight is delayed, like mine was, that you have ample time to watch people in airports. The anticipation that people have stems usually from 3 different reasons: 1. waiting for a loved one to come home; 2. seeing a loved one off; 3. the less emotional anticipation of lone travellers or business people needing to get a taxi or get to a hotel. You can probably tell by the direction I'm headed in this story that it's the first 2 that affect me the most. In the past, I have been brought to tears by greetings and partings at airports, not including my personal trips, and this time was no exception.
A group of French-speakers was waiting for someone from an African French speaking country or an African from France, by the looks of the name card they had waving. It was a rather large group, and they greeted him with a pointsettia and a bouquet of flowers. He was all smiles as he took the time to shake everyone's hands and be introduced to all those in the group he didn't already know. I don't know what he said, but everyone gave him a round of applause after.
It's events like those that make me wonder: who is this man, and why is he here? Is he a refugee? Did he escape the violence in France right now as is happy to be alive? Is he just visiting some relatives? Was he filled with excitement because maybe it is his first trip to Canada? I try to imagine, and that's what makes me emotional, in part, I suppose. I also remember my own comings and goings to Malaysia and India, the time when I moved to Mexico, and the countless times I've greeted and parted from loved ones at the airport. I guess I know how these people feel, and I find it hard to be detached. Yet this is only one aspect of the dynamic life at an airport.
I have no idea when I wrote this, but I think it would have been around November 2005, which is the only time I flew for my job, and I remember my flight to Prince George was delayed due to fog. So hopefully that helps the context. Write me a comment about airports, what you feel when you're there. I'd love to know.
7:19 PM | Read comments (1) | Permalink | Travel

No comments:

Post a Comment