Sunday, February 17, 2013

July 2007 posts



July 27
Well, it was finally the last day of school today. I can't say I'm horribly upset about it. It was fun while it lasted, but three weeks wasn't really long enough to develop any relationships with very many people, students or staff. I guess my feeling is more one of indifference. Next week, I'll start my next job doing research full time for the month of August. It's the same job I was doing before in Occupational Therapy, but rather than doing casual hours, I'll be full time just for the month of August. It should be nice. While I'll be on campus, my hours will still be flexible, so if I want to take a lunch hour longer than an hour, I can put in the extra time before or after the fact, or I can put in a couple of hours at home if I want to go home early. I'm excited about it.
Saying goodbye to some of the grade 2 kids was a little harder, though. They are so cute, and many of them gave me big hugs goodbye when I was leaving and said they were going to miss me. Beautiful little creatures they are.
Other than that, I've been fence painting for the last couple of weeks, which is why I haven't been on my blog for a while. I'd come home from school and only relax for about 15 minutes before going out to paint the fence for the rest of the evening. I find it quite relaxing, actually, although my not-so-relaxing moment came when I accidentally stepped on a nail Tuesday night. Thankfully, it didn't go in that far, although I still had to pull it out, and I've had a tetanis booster recently enough that I didn't need to go to the doctor's for one. Using the first aid kit at home, my mom was able to treat it quite well, so that was good.
So, not an overly exciting blog update this time around, but I must admit that I'm feeling somewhat melancholic at the moment and will only succeed in writing deep, philosophical drivel if I try to write anymore. By the way, I hope you've seen my latest photos. That storm on Monday was frightfully inspiring.
7:49 PM | Permalink
July 15
No, I'm not making a reference to the Smells Like Teen Spirit song, just to clarify. There are rare smells in winter that make me think, oh, it smells like winter. But every other season seems to have its own scent. Spring is often scented with fruit blossoms of various kinds as well as lilacs and mayday trees, and this other tree whose name I don't know.
Fall smells of drying leaves and harvest--if harvest can have a smell. I can't explain it.
But the other day, I remembered the smells of summer that I love. Clover. There are fields of blooming clover that smell so sweet. Weeds--actually some kind of wildflowers, those yellow or white ones that grow in empty fields or along the side of the road. I was driving to my friend's house the other day with the windows open, and I smelled it. I just wanted to soak it all in, it was so beautiful. There's something to aromatherapy.
Outside of that, I have had my first week of teaching and TA-ing in summer school. I'm working with a new age population: elementary kids. It's a challenge. I don't know what to do with them! I haven't been a mom, and I haven't really grown up around a lot of them, so I don't really have a lot of strategies on hand. Help!
I also added some pictures of my cousin Maria's wedding last weekend. The ceremony took place at my cousin Cindy's place. The canola field is not completely ripened, but it's a beautiful sight. I love bright yellow fields of canola. Anyways, the wedding had a somewhat Scottish theme, in case you're wondering about the kilts and bagpipe.
8:46 PM | Permalink
July 06
We all need a little breeze in this heat, don't we? :o) Well, these are just little clips of little things I feel like venting about this morning:
Brown eggs. They are not better for you than white eggs. They are not more wholesome or multigrain. They are not analogous to brown and white bread. White eggs come from white chickens, and brown eggs come from brown or black chickens. That's what I learned gathering eggs on my grandparents' farm as a kid. So stop charging more money for them! If you don't believe me, you can read the info on the Get Cracking web site!
Canadian Idol singers. Please, get a real singer on there! I saw Tuesday's episode, and there was maybe one or two at the most actually on key and could sing. Oh my goodness people. OK, I'm too old to be a contestant now, but if they want to make an exception, I'll show 'em!
People that don't know how to merge onto the freeway. You MUST drive 80km in order to merge successfully on the freeway. Even if you remain in the exit lane, you are still supposed to drive 80 so that people behind you that are merging onto the freeway can merge properly.
These are my rants for the day :o)
9:18 AM | Permalink
July 02
OK, so July 1 was yesterday, but I didn't know how the day would turn out completely until it was over! I celebrated it with two of my Colombian friends, who are both Canadian citizens, so what better way to spend it! The cool thing was that from my friend's balcony, we could watch the fireworks both in downtown and Millwoods--and the ones that people were illegally throwing off their balconies! Mm...that one, I was a little concerned about, but fortunately, we didn't get hurt. I hope no one else did either.
Last year, I was in London on Canada Day celebrating with my cousin and Carmel along with a number of Canadian ex-pats watching some famous Canadian talent that I never heard of perform for the crowd. It was still fun, but given the choice of where I'd like to be, I still like being in Canada on Canada Day. I know, I know...from the politically apathetic girl to someone who even has a sense of patriotism. Go figure!
We were on Whyte Ave and area, and I actually ran into two friends of mine on separate occasions during the night. I hang out on Whyte Ave so little these days, and as it is, many of my friends that I used to know that live in the area are now in other cities, that I had forgotten how much fun it is just to hang around there and run into people you know. I must say that I miss it a little. Well, while I'm looking for a summer job, I won't be able to afford to wile away my time in cafes and restaurants. And walking up and down is simply silly--not that I have anything against silly, since it's a frequent state of mind for me, but there have to be limits Anyways, I hope you had a happy Canada Day too, those of you that are Canadian readers.
2:42 PM | Permalink

No comments:

Post a Comment