Thursday, February 28, 2013

October 2007 posts



October 31
Yesterday, my mom and I noticed a place on Whyte Ave called the Urban Dog, where apparently you can buy glasses for your dog. What kind of glasses, I'm not sure. And somehow, I get the feeling that the transient canine population would be just as unwelcome in that store as human transients would be in a regular Lenscrafters. In any case, we got into a conversation about the silly things people buy for their dogs, and as it turned out, the news showed the types of Halloween costumes you can buy at this particular store for their dogs. The store claims to have sold about 500 dog costumes already! Apparently, some people are buying more than one costume because they have several functions to go to, and of course, you wouldn't want your pooch to be spotted wearing the same outfit at all the functions. How the neighbours would talk! In fact, such a person with the same dog costume would probably be run out of the city.
I guess what sickens me about it is that the dog really could care less--and probably would happier not to be sporting an embarrassing outfit, or any outfit at all--and that the money could go to so many better causes. If you really love dogs that much, donate it to the SPCA or a Humane Society. Take care of people: donate it to any local charity, for that matter. Is it just me, or does anyone else think that this dog costume business is just a telling example of the increasing materialism in our society?
October 25
During this year, for some reason, I've had various conversations with single girlfriends about the problem of being single. But it's probably not what you think. As much as we would like to be in a good relationship, we are not lying around all day sulking about singlehood and lamenting that we haven't met anyone yet. No, our frustration lies in other people's ideas about how we should live our lives or feel about being single or even the patronising attitudes people have just because we're not married.
For example.
One of my friends states that many people don't take her seriously and even treat her like a child because she is single. Apparently, not being married causes her to be less knowledgeable about life and to lack any wisdom. Instead--at least I have found this in my case, being alone, I have frequently been able to observe many things and learn much through these vicarious instances of life. While a single person may not personally know the experience of being married, it doesn't prevent that person from having all sorts of other experiences that could provide wisdom in life.
However, that brings me to my next point, which is that just because a person is single, doesn't mean they can't know anything about relationships. Certainly marriage relationships have distinguishing features from other relationships, but there are many ways in which they are the same. A single person could figure out the differences, although not all single people may be inclined to do so, but it doesn't mean it is unachievable.
Another friend of mine stated that people frequently pity her and feel the need to invite her to things all the time because they think she must be bored and lonely spending so much time by herself. In her case, she really enjoys being alone, and she is able to go to a museum or out for coffee by herself without any qualms. Some of us are not blessed with that comfort level spending time with ourselves, but I must admit I got used to going to the movies with myself when I lived in Mexico, and sometimes, it wasn't that bad just to curl up in the back of a theatre and be left to your own thoughts about the movie. In any case, while many people, single or no, feel the need to engage in activities with at least one companion, there are many of us that are able to occupy our alone time rather well and feel ok about it. We don't have to have a date to go to a wedding or a company party.
I am not on a feminist rant, believe me. I don't think that I am exactly the same as a man, and I'm not trying to encourage anyone to stay single and be proud to be a strong woman. If you do want to do that, I'm not here to stop you. But I know I can function independently if I need to and that I don't need a man to complete my life.
It is not to say that people's acts of kindness and friendship are unwelcome, but at least as women, we often find that we are patronised, pitied, and not taken seriously. We value our friendships and our relationships and enjoy spending time with others, but I guess the point is that we still have brains, and you don't have to feel sorry for us. In fact, it may be our very good sense that keeps us single so far!
October 18
I like carrots a lot, but I pretty much only like them raw. The only time I want to eat a cooked carrot is if it's in carrot cake. This is one annoying thing about living in Canada. People love to put cooked carrots in practically everything here. I went to a restaurant near work for lunch today, and 3/4 of their soups had carrots. The only one that didn't have carrots was the French onion soup, and if they had put carrots in that, I would have lost all hope for our nation's tastebuds.
What I've learned about my own tastebuds is that I don't like vegetables that become sweet when they're cooked. This means carrots, parsnips, turnips/rutabegas, and any kind of sweet potato substance. The first time I went to India, which was when I was 5, everyone was raving about these red carrots that this guy would come by in a cart with every day to sell. My brother went nuts over them. I tried one, and even though it was raw, it was sweet! So I see that this trend began when I was little, and I've only just recently identified the reason I don't like these vegetables cooked other than just thinking I didn't like how they taste. The reason I don't like their taste is because they're sweet. It's strange that I should dislike them so much when I love sweet things in general, but for some reason, I really dislike these veggies. Raw, however, I can eat them forever.
Anyways, what I don't get is why carrots in particular are such a popular addition to foods here. People put them in a lot of soups and stews, and you always see them in bags of frozen vegetables, or people will add them to their dish of cooked vegetables if making them from fresh ones. It's just annoying, and there are so many times when you can't just pick them out because it would be rude. I almost wish I had an allergy to them, just so I wouldn't appear rude, but I'm thankful that I don't have any food allergies. I know some people who have them, and it's not fun. Still, I'm left with my cooked carrot problem. Can anyone tell me why the novelty of cooked carrots doesn't wear out?
October 07
Just wanted to add that I've added an album with some pics I've taken around Edmonton. Hope y'all like 'em!
October 06
I was in Save-On Foods today picking up a few groceries, and I headed into the Cosmetics/Skin and Hair Care section looking for hair colour. I like to just peruse these sections quite often just to see what is there, and I did a double-take when I read the following label: Henna 'n' Placenta Hair Treatment. I've recently tried to become more aware of my own ecological footprint; I buy fair trade, organic products when I can, and do my bit to reduce, reuse, and recycle. I try to buy flavoured yogurts that are naturally sweetened or contain real vanilla beans for the vanilla flavoured ones, not artificial flavourings. But I draw the line at placenta. This is just disgusting. I think the only more disgusting thing is the rumours I have heard about somewhere in the world where apparently you can eat the placentas (placentae?) of certain animals, and this is considered a delicacy. Can anyone's hair be dull and lifeless enough to justify the use of placenta in it? By that point, your best bet is to get a good hair cut and try an overnight treatment of warm coconut oil in your hair. Furthermore, you can use plain yogurt in your hair, leaving it on as a hair mask for about 5 minutes and then rinsing out. Both work really well to bring heavy moisture and shine back to your hair--without having to resort to leftovers from the birthing process, expelled by some poor woman, whom we can only hope was given a fair dosage of demerol to reduce the pain she was going through. It must be all worth it, though, to know that your placenta has not only nourished your newborn, but nourished someone else's head of hair somewhere in the world. It would certainly make going through labour that much more worth it for me. Granted, I don't know that this placenta is derived from humans. A quick search in Google suggests that maybe it comes from sheep. Either way, it's still gross, and I'll stick to my traditional Indian remedies of coconut oil or yogurt!
9:49 PM | Read comments (1) | Permalink | Health and wellness

No comments:

Post a Comment