Monday, April 1, 2013

February 2008



February 27
For those of you that think I have a new boyfriend, by the name in title, I hope you've figured out by now that I do these things just to entice you. When you see a picture of Johnny, you'll realise that I couldn't possibly be desperate enough to become involved with him. I wouldn't even want to live with him! And I know Johnny won't take offense to this, which is why I have every confidence in speaking about him as bluntly as I do. I met him at a candle party, of all places. He belongs to the neighbour of my friend who was having the party, and he became the centre of attention. If you haven't seen my Facebook pictures yet, here is a picture of us. He's a lot of fun, though!

People get the willies just seeing him around my neck, especially on account of the fact that he's a boa constrictor. Not to worry, I made sure he couldn't wrap himself too tightly around my neck. I want to live a little longer!
8:58 PM | Permalink
February 18
Wow, was this concert ever amazing--as amazing as it was 2 years ago when I saw him in Edmonton then as well. His guitar playing is superb, the singer is excellent, and the dancers, well, all I can say is, if I met a man who danced like that, I would have a hard time not drooling. The women are definitely great to watch, but a good male flamenco dancer is heartbreaking. Well, maybe that's just my perspective as a female; I guess many men would find the woman more attractive In any case, they were just brilliant. What is so attractive about the men, though, is the strength and masculinity of this dance. OK, the one guy was a little more graceful as a woman would be, but the other man was intense and very, very strong. And by strength, I don't mean that he was physically strong--although he was lean and muscular enough--it was the strength of his presence. I remember when I used to take flamenco, we learned that there is a kind of feeling that a dancer can portray, which doesn't really have a good way of translating it into English, but it's called "duende." It kind of translates as "soul," although it's a little more than that. This guy, I think, really had duende. Whenever I see flamenco, remembering how it was in part borne out of the oppression of the Roma (Gypsy) people in Southern Spain, the dancer who can communicate the strength of the people's willingness and ability to survive through that is most beguiling. This dancer does that for me. The other guy that dances with them is excellent too, but he is more showy, more the entertainer. Anyways, I hope wherever you are that someday you get a chance to see Paco Pena and his group perform. You will not be disappointed!
3:29 PM | Permalink | Entertainment
February 05
I can't say this strongly enough! One of my dearest friends could have been killed when the Nissan Titan he was driving exploded just this past weekend--while parked at a gas station no less! We're all thankful he was not hurt physically, but it was still traumatic. It was a company truck he was driving, and he has asked me to warn people not to buy these. The insurance company is investigating the situation, but apparently this is not the first time this has happened with this particular model. It's surprising because Nissans are normally such good vehicles, but it must just be this model. I tried to look up some info on Google to see if there were any sites that had information about them exploding, but I didn't find anything. Maybe it's still too hush hush at the moment. All I can say, people, is be careful if you're considering this vehicle! My friend would have you not consider the Titan at all; just look for something else!
Other than that, life is its usual blur of work and insanity. I'm now on the homeward stretch for moving out of my mom's and finding a place to rent. I was thinking about living in Windsor Park Plaza because the rent includes all utilities, and it's across the street from where I work at the moment, but the prices they quoted on the Internet are old and outdated, as I learned after viewing one of the apartments today, so that's no good. The cost of living there would literally be half of my paycheque! And I haven't even eaten anything yet! That's very annoying! So I'm still on the lookout for something. Hopefully it won't take me long to find a place. There are lots available right now; just want to make sure I can afford it!
1:44 PM | Permalink

No comments:

Post a Comment