Sunday, April 21, 2013

March, April, and May 2008



May 22
At least I hope so! I'm off to Cuba in 2 days, so I should finally have some pictures and stories to talk about. My life consists of work at the moment, and that's about all. The only other thing I have to do at the moment is train for the Rona MS Bike Tour coming up in 2 weeks. That's about all I can do at the moment, so if you were ever bored by any of my other stories, certainly a story about how I work all the time won't be anything better. I'm really looking forward to the trip, though, because I really need a break. I have so much on my plate that I don't even have time to feel excited about going yet, and I will likely end up doing some work on the plane because there are some projects I need to work on. I don't want to turn into one of those people that works on vacation, though, so I plan not to as much as possible. Anyways, I hope you can last until my next blog entry. I have a feeling it won't be too difficult
9:05 PM | Permalink
May 12
Some interesting info about Canada here. The whole book would be worth a read.
Quote
6:31 PM | Permalink
May 08
Those of you who know me well know I wish I could head up the fashion police. Well, I have a really good question about fashion now. I've noticed recently that kids whose pants are falling off their butts are now tucked into their socks. As long as I've been alive, tucking your socks into your pants has never been cool. I can't understand for the life of me why people think this is a good fashion statement.
The other thing I've noticed recently is how people are dressing as though it's 30 above outside--girls mostly. Small tank tops, shorts like hot pants, and flip flops are common apparel for teen girls, at least, despite the fact that it's only about 10 degrees outside. I know the sun is shining, but really, people!
You may be wondering, for the few of you that read my blog, what I've been up to lately. I'm mostly just been busy with work still and also still unpacking stuff. I'm also trying to get serious about training for the MS Bike Tour, which is coming up in a month from now. But I lose a week from going to Cuba, so I'm hoping to do what I can while I'm there. I'm just a little scared to bike for about 130km, where normally, I might bike 30km maximum at one time. Yikes!
5:46 PM | Permalink
April 23
I haven't seen the rest of the movies, so I don't know if they're bad or good, but finally, someone that agrees with me about Gone With the Wind. I wasn't all that impressed by it. The story was ok, but I didn't think any part of it was stellar enough to warrant being watched over and over.
Quote
7:36 AM | Permalink
April 19
So here's an entry, finally :o) I did move on March 1 in an apartment building that's really close to the house where I grew up; I'm literally 3 blocks away, and it's nice. I enjoy being on my own again, and I like being in the old 'hood. It's nice having my own space and having the space to have all my things in one location, not living out of boxes anymore. Especially being able to have all my books out and at my dispense is super exciting! And I still have shelf space left! :o) So that's my moving news. Nothing overly exciting, although I have to say the day I moved in was funny because I forgot to buy toilet paper. Thankfully, I didn't need any at the time I noticed I didn't have any, so my mom brought a roll over from home later that night along with some milk and cereal for me so that at least I would have some breakfast as I hadn't had a chance to get any groceries at that point. But that night, I got to thinking, how will I eat the cereal? I haven't any silverware or a bowl! Well, I did know that I had mugs, so I thought I'd at least be able to drink the cereal out of a mug if need be. But I wasn't very tired, so I started unpacking my kitchen at about 11pm, and as I started sifting through the stuff, I noticed a mystery box. I had asked my mom if she knew what the contents of it were when I was taking it out of the house, and she didn't, so I was really curious. Well, when I opened it up, I realised very quickly that it was some dishes that I inherited from my grandma that included, among other things, bowls! So there was step one. And as I continued to unpack, I found a silver teaspoon that had somehow got separated from my others. It was pretty exciting, actually! So that's my moving story.
Outside of that, I've been notcing lately that there's a real controversy brewing about biofuel production. This is something that never even crossed my mind when I first heard about the invention of biofuels. The controversy is that biofuel production will contribute to the food shortage that exists in the world, that we should be using our fields to grow food for starving nations, not to fuel our cars. But I'd like to point out that I haven't seen any convincing evidence that there is a food shortage. It's true that there are famines and many people starving in impoverished nations, but I also know that there have been other studies or statistics in the past showing that there is not necessarily a shortage of food in the world but that it is poor distribution of the food in the world that is the problem. And in fact, this holds true of many of the world's resources. In Canada and the US, for example, we consume much more than we need, and that includes food and other resources. And in many countries where corruption is more prevalent than here, the people in power there aren't necessarily going hungry and frequently prevent food aid from reaching their countries' needy. I wish I had some studies to refer to on this, but I haven't done the research. I only remember learning about these things here and there throughout my life. No matter what, we can't throw the baby out with the bathwater, but for all I know, oil and gas companies have influenced the media to get us not to support biofuels to prevent their own loss of sales. I'm not trying to be a conspiracy theorist, but it's just interesting to consider all the possibilities. Anyways, it's just something that has been irking me lately, hearing about this food shortage. First prove to me that there's a food shortage, and then we'll talk.
9:59 AM | Permalink
March 29
It may seem hard to believe, but I am still alive. You'd never know by my activity here on my blog. But I've been really busy, and for the last week, I've had the flu. I hope to put an update here soon enough. Estoy muy cansada. Tired, that is!
7:36 PM | Permalink

No comments:

Post a Comment